BofA At Center Of N'borhood Nuisance; Bees Swarm Into F'closed Home; Cops Use Crime Scene Tape To Ward Off Young Kids From Danger As Servicer Fiddles
In Winter Haven, Florida, The Ledger reports:
- Thousands of bees have settled into an abandoned house in a children-filled neighborhood in southwest Winter Haven. Parents on both sides of the home each have two children and said Thursday they are concerned their children could be swarmed by the bees.
- At some point, a gate post was attached to the cement block home at 209 Summerview Drive, off Thornhill Road. But now there's a bolt hole in the cement and bees fly in and out of the house all day.
- Bondi Washington lives next to the side of the home where the bees are thriving. She said about a month ago the family noticed the bees and the bee population has grown considerably since then. The hum of bees behind the wall is audible.
- A deputy visited the home Wednesday evening and put crime scene tape around the area where the hole is to keep people away.
- Polk property records show the house is owned by Faith Maulding, but neighbors say she moved away about three years ago. Maulding could not be reached to comment.
- In 2008, Countrywide Home Loans began foreclosure proceeding against Maulding. That company merged with Bank of America in 2008. For the past two years, records show that BAC Tax Services Corp. has paid the property taxes on the home. That company is a subsidiary of Bank of America. A man who visited the home Thursday to cut the grass said he was being paid by Bank of America.
- Christina Beyer Toth, spokeswoman for Bank of America in the southeastern states, said Thursday afternoon that she would find and peruse documents about the ownership of the property. She said she would contact company supervisors, but said that may not happen until this morning.
For the story, see Bees Invade Abandoned Winter Haven House (The bees become more active in the afternoons, neighbors of the house on Summerview Drive say. They are worried about their children being stung).