Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Foreclosure Rescuers, Loan Modifiers Circle San Joaquin Valley Homeowners In Financial Trouble

In the San Joaquin Valley region of California, the Merced Sun Star reports:

  • The foreclosure sharks are circling the San Joaquin Valley. [...] With Stockton, Modesto, Merced and Fresno all ranking among the nation's leading cities for foreclosures, the market invites commercial exploitation. Hundreds if not thousands of San Joaquin Valley homeowners are being besieged by letters, phone calls and even door-to-door visits that purportedly offer escape from financial harm.

  • Barbara Galvan, for instance, resides in southeast Fresno and said she has never missed a mortgage payment. Nonetheless, as her adjustable rate keeps rising, she's been getting the hard sell from purported rescuers. "I'm getting lots of calls," Galvan said. "They want me to pay $3,000 or $4,000 up front. I tell them, where will I get $3,000 if I can't pay my mortgage? They say, I could put it on my credit card."

For more, see Housing crisis: Foreclosure scams abound in Valley (Organizations promise help but homeowners need to read fine print).

See also, Beware of 'vultures' as foreclosures grow:

  • [San Joaquin] Valley officials report that homeowners are getting pounded by letters, phone calls and personal visits from individuals and businesses claiming they have an easy answer to financial problems. For fees of $3,000 or $4,000, they'll unlock the key to saving your home. loan modification

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. your blog is a good read.