Friday, August 13, 2010

Another Lender Changes Its Tune When Local Media Intervenes On Behalf Of Screwed-Over Homeowner Seeking Loan Modification

In Douglasville, Georgia, WXIA-TV Channel 11 reports:

  • For Marci Williams, a single mother of two, it was a long day at the Neighborhood Assistance refinancing event at the World Congress Center but it was worth it. "I got there at 3 a.m. and after nine hours I was seen," Williams said. "I left with a 2 percent interest rate on my home." She had a signed contract with her lender, Bank of America.

  • Then 35 days later, the bottom fell out. "My loan was approved in the beginning of June and about 35 days later I received this letter saying it would be rescinded. In addition, I had to pay some monies and if I didn't pay, my home would go into foreclosure in September," she said. Williams says she tried numerous times to reach Bank of America, but she says she got no response. "It could have been the end for me but for my kids. Probably would have done the worst, but my kids just kept me going. I had to fight for them," Williams said.

  • Reaching a dead-end, she turned to the 11Alive Help Desk. 11Alive's Bill Liss contacted Bank of America in Charlotte, determined not to let the house go into foreclosure. The bank responded quickly and decisively. It honored the contract. "Because of you (11Alive), I am here in my house with the 2 percent that Bank of America gave me, and then rescinded. You made it right by being in my home and standing by me," Williams said. Standing by what was right.

Source: Bank Rescinds Refinance, Threatens Foreclosure.

No comments: