Saturday, December 8, 2012

Animal Control Officer Gunned Down, Locksmith Wounded During Home Eviction Follow-up Visit; Swat Team, Tear Gas Needed To Bag Barricaded Foreclosed Ex-Owner After 17-Hour Standoff

In Galt, California, KXTV Channel 10 reports:

  • A standoff between a suspected gunman and SWAT officers came to a conclusion Thursday morning nearly 17 hours after it began.

    An animal control officer, identified as Roy Curtis Marcum, 45, of Elk Grove, was fatally shot and one of two locksmiths sent by Citibank was wounded when they approached the front door of a home on the 600 block of 1st Street following up on an eviction notice that was served Tuesday, Sacramento County sheriff's Sgt. Jason Ramos said.

    A shot was fired through the front door, hitting Marcum. One of the locksmiths was grazed by a bullet. The second locksmith ran from the home and flagged down a community patrol officer, who called for help.

    Sacramento County sheriff's deputies, Galt police, Elk Grove police and SWAT responded to the home and set up a perimeter near New Hope Road and 1st Street. Ramos said Marcum was removed from the front lawn by emergency responders and taken to a nearby church where he was pronounced dead.

    Residences around the surrounded home were evacuated and two neighborhoods around the scene were blocked from access.

    Ramos said the suspected shooter was identified as Joseph Francis Corey, the former homeowner, according to Sacramento County Assessor's Office records.
  • [A] unified SWAT team from the Elk Grove and Galt police departments assumed command of the incident. They worked with Elk Grove Police Department negotiators in an attempt to convince Corey to surrender peacefully, Ramos said.

    At approximately 10:30 p.m., tear gas canisters were deployed into the home to draw Corey out, but he remained inside.

    Then at approximately 5 Thursday morning, while Corey was moving from the living area of his home toward the garage area, he was met by a team of officers who had entered the home undetected. Corey tried to retreat back into the living area, but officers were able to catch him and take him into custody, said Ramos.

    According to Ramos, Corey was placed in an ambulance and moved to a local hospital for evaluation before being incarcerated.
  • Corey's home was foreclosed upon and sold to Citibank at a trustee's auction in November 2011, according to the Sacramento County Assessors Office.

No comments: